Free Meditation Classes
Each of our introductory course options normally feature between 4-6 sessions and cover a structured and progressive series of guided meditations. Our focus here is on teaching the essential steps to help you establish a successful home practise.
Each complete course introduces a broad range of techniques, enabling each person to become acquainted with several different approaches to meditation and to explore their preferred method of practise.
Our course content is drawn from Sri Chinmoy's best-selling publication, 'Meditation', a comprehensive, excellent guidebook that leads the reader from the very first beginning steps to advanced levels of practise. Written with the simplicity and clarity that are hallmarks of Sri Chinmoy's teachings and writings.
A typical 5 session introductory meditation course features:
- Topic: What is meditation? - How does it work? An introductory overview of the benefits and principles of meditation.
- Exercise: 'Still mind – still breath'. Breathing techniques to focus and calm the mind.
- Topic: The ABC's of meditation at home – when/where/how long/ how often? Introducing the first steps in developing your daily practise.
- Exercise: The heart chakra – a guided meditation in the spiritual heart centre to bypass the restless mind!
- Exercise: Breath visualisation and opening the heart centre through meditation – developing our concentration on the power of breath.
- Topic: An introduction to mantra meditation.
- Exercise: Putting theory into practise – a guided exercise in mantras. Our Centre musicians often join us for this session and perform a number of live mantric song–chants during our meditation.
- Topic: An introduction to the principle branches of Yoga.
- Exercise: Bhakti yoga – a guided meditation.
- Topic: Physical excellence and well-being as a foundation for spiritual growth.
- Exercise: 'Light of the soul' – a guided meditation.
- Topic: The principle of holistics – the mind/body/spirit connection and how to harmonise these to deepen your meditation experience.
- Exercise: Music and meditation.
- Topic: Using meditation as a life-skill in problem solving/decision making/eliminating stress.
- Exercise: Japa meditation – purifying the mind.
- Topic: An overview of the spiritual paths and masters - meditation teacher .
- Exercise: A meditation visualisation on the power of imagination.
- Topic: 'Enhancing creative potential through meditation' – how to use the silence, stillness and inspiration of meditation to tap into the source of creativity and discover new capacities in art, writing, music.
A Free Continuation Program
Once you have completed an introductory course you are most welcome to join our free continuation program. This typically offers one or two evenings per week of guided meditations and discussion points and focuses more specifically on deepening your meditation practise. We will also introduce in more depth the teachings of Sri Chinmoy which are filled with much practical advice on how to develop and maintain a strong and blossoming spiritual life while living in our busy modern world.
Regular one and two day workshops are also offered through the Sri Chinmoy Centre Meditation Course program.